Palombo may challenge Jones for House seat

March 09, 2011 5:50 PM
Freedom ENC

NEW BERN — Retiring New Bern Police Chief Frank Palombo has confirmed that he is looking into a run for the U.S. District 3 House seat held for the last 17 years by Rep. Walter B. Jones, R-N.C.

An e-mail from the Coastal Carolina Taxpayers Association stating that Palombo is going to challenge Jones in the next primary began circulating last week. It urges members to “get behind this early as Jones is already busy raising money” and says that “exploratory work is still ongoing, but early data looks very good.”

Palombo, a Republican, said Tuesday that a decision has yet to be made.

“I’m exploring all kinds of options and opportunities,” he said. “I have an interest in a government that works well. We don’t have that at the moment.”

Jones’ communications director said the he and his staff have been made aware of the possible primary challenge.

Jones’ political campaign manager, Jonathan Brooks, said since filing for the 2012 election doesn’t begin until February of next year, it’s too early to comment on possible runners.

“It is very early to be commenting on possible candidates. Instead, I think Representative Jones is focusing on serving the people of Eastern North Carolina,” Brooks said.

Palombo has been chief of police for New Bern since July 28, 1997. He also served 21 years with the police department in Clearwater, Fla. He has a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of South Florida and a master’s in public administration from Troy State University.

He serves as a commissioner on two state groups — the State Emergency Response Commission and the Structured Sentencing and Policy Advisory Commission. He is a past president of the North Carolina Association of Chiefs of Police.

Palombo’s retirement is effective May 31.

Jacksonville Daily News